In 2020, Apple pledged to make its products carbon neutral by 2030. Using the gross emission in 2015 ( 38.4 millions tons CO2 ) as the baseline, They planned to offset 75% of gross emissions. The remaining 25% will be offset by carbon offsets.
We will be analyzing data on greenhouse gas emissions from 2015 to 2022 in order to determine the progress Apple has made toward their goal of carbon neutrality and investigating if there is any impacts on their business performance.
Key Insights and Recommendation
- Legacy models iPhone 6s, 7 and 8 could be phased out. They produce the most emissions and do little to reduce their carbon
- 98.5% of gross emissions are produced during the product's lifecycle while the rest comes from corporate activities.
- Devices with 128 GB storage capacity have the least amount of emission ( 43 Million Tonnes CO2 ) while 64 GB devices has the most greenhouse gas emission.
- Scope 3 emission account for the most emission. Scope 3 emission result from all indirect emission associated with a company's upstream and downstream operations. This includes activities such as waste generated in operations, waste disposal, transportation and distribution to suppliers and customers, leased assets etc
- The newer models like the iPhone 13, 14 and 12 have been able to generate decent revenue without having as much negative impact on the environment. This could suggest a growing trend for the future.
- With the continual growth of technology and innovation, Apple should strengthen their focus on delivering eco-friendly products.