Tableau Speed & Performance
Optimize Tableau Desktop speed & performance and learn how to build fast, scalable, and user-friendly dashboards.
If you’re looking to improve the speed and performance of your Tableau dashboards, this is the course for you.
You’ll be playing the role of a Business Intelligence Analyst at Bike Maven, a bicycle sharing company based in New York City. You’ve inherited a Tableau dashboard containing three years of accident data, but it’s so slow that it’s practically unusable.
Your mission? Use the optimization tools and techniques covered in this course to make the dashboard fast, scalable, and user-friendly.
We’ll start by reviewing Tableau’s performance evaluation tools, then dive into four key optimization areas, including data design, filters, calculations, and layouts & visuals. Finally, we’ll address some external factors specific to Tableau Server & online.
During the course you’ll learn how to record and interpret query performance, understand exactly how Tableau processing and rendering actually works, and review common event types and their impact on speed and usability.
We’ll also discuss the pros and cons of various data modeling techniques and connection types, share best practices for filter optimization, introduce pro tips to help you write efficient calculations, review key data visualization and dashboard design principles, and much more.
Throughout the course we’ll practice applying these techniques to our Bike Maven dashboard, and track our performance improvements each step of the way.
- Course Structure & Outline
- DOWNLOAD: Course Resources
- Introducing the Course Project
- Setting Expectations
- Intro to Performance Evaluation
- Why Performance is Important
- Dashboard Types
- Key Questions
- Internal vs. External Factors
- VizQL & Query Processing
- Performance Recording
- Interpreting Performance Results
- Event Types
- Workbook Performance Factors
- QUIZ: Performance Evaluation
- Intro to Data Design
- Data Modeling Options
- Live vs. Extract Connections
- Live Connection Optimization
- Extract Connection Optimization
- Data Source Options
- Performance Impact: Data Design
- QUIZ: Data Design
- Intro to Filter Optimization
- Order of Operations
- Filter Optimization Tips
- Filter Options
- Date Filtering
- Filter Actions
- Parameter & Set Actions
- Performance Impact: Filters
- QUIZ: Filter Optimization
- Intro to Calculation Optimization
- Value & Field Operations
- Calculation Types
- LOD Expressions
- Table Calculations
- Conditional Calculations
- Calculated Groups
- Common Pain Points
- Performance Impact: Calculations
- QUIZ: Calculation Optimization
- Intro to Layout & Visuals
- Mark & Sheet Counts
- Mapping Options
- Dashboard Properties
- Dashboard Objects
- User Experience Tips
- Performance Impact: Layout & Visuals
- QUIZ: Layout & Visual Optimization
- Intro to Server & Online
- Embedded vs. Published Sources
- Dashboard Caching
- Cache Warming
- Client vs. Server-Side Rendering
- QUIZ: Tableau Server & Online
- Key Performance Takeaways
- Course Feedback Survey
- Share the love!
- Next Steps
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE?
- Analysts or BI professionals looking to build fast, high-performance dashboards
- Tableau Desktop users who want to optimize the performance of existing workbooks or reports
WHAT ARE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS?
- Tableau Public (free) or Tableau Desktop (we'll walk through the install)
- Prior experience with Tableau Desktop is strongly encouraged
Start learning for FREE, no credit card required!
Every subscription includes access to the following course materials
- Interactive Project files
- Downloadable e-books
- Graded quizzes and assessments
- 1-on-1 Expert support
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Verified credentials & accredited badges
Ready to become a
Start learning for free, no credit card required!